In Near v. Minnesota the rules established relating to prior
restraint are as follows: “Because prior restraint is such an extreme remedy for
abuses of freedom of expression, the constitution prohibits it except in rare
circumstances (such as to safeguard national security in a time of war,
maintain public decency, or to protect a community from incitement of violence”
(246, Tedford and Herbeck). When I started to think about issues of prior
restraint I immediately thought of one of my favorite true crime podcasts Up and Vanished. In this Podcast, Payne
Lindsey investigates the murder of Tara Grinstad. The case had gone cold after
several years when Lindsey started his podcast. The podcast gained popularity quickly
and due to Lindsey investigation and the amount of attention brought to the
case an arrest was made. I highly recommend the podcast for anyone interested
in true crime.
This case is currently dealing with
issues of prior restraint. I’ll attached an article here explaining the details
of the case in relation to prior restraint. A short summary is that a judge in
Georgia issued a gag order on the case out of fear that the defendant would not
get a fair trial. Attorney’s arguing against the gag order state that the judge
that issued the gag order “went straight to a measure of last resort”.
Personally, I think the gag order is unconstitutional. It doesn’t fit the rules
establish in Near v. MN and I agree with the attorneys arguing that the judge
went to a measure of last resort. There are other ways to ensure a fair trial, such
as moving the case to a different town, that would not require prior restraint.
Has anyone else listened to Up and
Vanished? What do you think of the judge’s gag order? The Georgia supreme court will be ruling on the issue
hopefully sometime this week.
Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of
Speech in the United States.
8th ed., Strata Publishing, Inc., 2017.
Tucker, Katheryn. “Gag Order in Beauty Queen Murder Case Goes to
Ga. Supreme Court.”
Law.com,
12 Oct. 2017, www.law.com/sites/dailyreportonline/2017/10/12/gag-order-
in-beauty-queen-murder-case-goes-to-gasupremecourt/?slreturn=20170923201317.
Comments
Post a Comment