The beginning of chapter 9 focused the basic issues of Prior Restraint. Prior restraint is a legal restraint on material before publication. It’s an order that prevents publication." The author gives a few example on cases where prior restraint has proven to be an issue.
I found the section covering, Control on the Distribution of Handbills and Leaflets to be interesting. Mostly because if discusses the appeal of Alma Lovell. She was a Jehovah;s witness who was convicted of passing out religious literature in 1938. Which is interesting because being on campus there are often people from various organizations and denominations casually hanging out information for their cause. Lovell argued that she was sent by Jehovah to had out publications. The court ruled, that she needed to have permission before handing out any publications in public. This is interesting because I assumed religious publications held some kind of privilege under the first amendment. I found Justice Roberts comments on the prevention of littering to be quite amusing as well.
Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the United States. 8th ed. Strata Publishing, INC., 2017.
Comments
Post a Comment