As I was reading this week's chapter on Privacy, I couldn't help but think about the most recent speaking out of James Comey. James Comey was the former director of the FBI, and after being fired by Trump he had a lot of opinions about privacy in the United States. During a Boston College conference on cybersecurity Comey said that "There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America; there is no place outside of the judicial reach." (Mallonee and Scott, 2017) and adding " Even our communications with our spouses, with our clergy members, with our attorneys are not absolutely private in America." (Mallonee and Scott, 2017).
After reading what his opinions were on privacy, I started to question what is actually private in this country anymore. We know the FBI keeps track on Americans and their conversations in case they are affiliated with terrorist groups that could harm the U.S.'s safety, but at what point is our right to safety being threatened? I am like many other Americans who wonders if compromising my privacy for FBI investigations; and wonders when absolute privacy will become an actual thing.
Sources:
Mallonee, Mary Kay and Scott, Eugene, "Comey: 'There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America'." 2017
After reading what his opinions were on privacy, I started to question what is actually private in this country anymore. We know the FBI keeps track on Americans and their conversations in case they are affiliated with terrorist groups that could harm the U.S.'s safety, but at what point is our right to safety being threatened? I am like many other Americans who wonders if compromising my privacy for FBI investigations; and wonders when absolute privacy will become an actual thing.
Sources:
Mallonee, Mary Kay and Scott, Eugene, "Comey: 'There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America'." 2017
Comey's remarks during this hearing certainly came across to me as unsettling, even if this was unintentional on his part. Recent discussion regarding how much weight should be assigned to privacy vs. security reminds me of the classic Ben Franklin quote: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Although his remarks aren't a perfect comparison to this debate today given their context, I believe this question of prioritization is a valuable basis to establish policy that's conscious of people's rights to physical and technological privacy. I also think constant and continuous debate over legislation like the Patriot Act and the information revealed by whistleblowers like Edward Snowden is crucial to better developing the notion of privacy as we continue in the 21st century.
ReplyDeleteSources:
“Ben Franklin's Famous 'Liberty, Safety' Quote Lost Its Context In 21st Century.” NPR, NPR, 2 Mar. 2015, www.npr.org/2015/03/02/390245038/ben-franklins-famous-liberty-safety-quote-lost-its-context-in-21st-century.