Trigger warnings are something that have been much debated as to whether they should be required on college campuses. In the article published by the Huffington Post entitled, "What's Really Important About 'Trigger Warnings'"by Soraya Chemaly, explains why it is important that we have Trigger Warnings. She explains that images, videos , and even texts can all be something that can evoke a traumatic experience that someone has gone through. "Trigger warnings are fundamentally about empathy, which is informed by epistemology, status and stereotypes" (Chemaly, 2014). She argues that this is something that comes from human emotion and that trusting professors to have this rather than making them have empathy is not the way to go.
I think that having empathy for those who have gone through something like that is important. I believe that having a trigger warning is courteous and just considerate and something that I don't think should be taken for granted. Something like this might not even have a "huge" impact, but if it makes a small difference why not implement it? If it makes people feel safer in their environment then I think it can benefit everyone and also implementing something that they can leave without punishment if they do happen to go back to that traumatic experience is also important.
I think in relation to commercial speech that the use of a trigger warning could also be used as well, after going through this over and over I think that the FCC which is the Federal Communication Commission is something that could possibly benefit people who use mass media. By being more lenient with what is being put on tv, but making use of a trigger warning for the production in mass media can benefit the population and production companies as well and even in advertising I believe that these can be helpful. If a movie were to have a preview somewhere that has some sort of over the top content and with no warning, wouldn't you want a trigger warning? I believe it would make a huge difference in how we see commercials and even if it's like how we hear the voices at the end of medicine commercials to boost a product. If even that were used I think a trigger warning would be very helpful in commercial speech just if more warnings were out in broadcasting and/or serious content without being abused hustvto out whatever in the public eye. I believe you should know the risks of doing something and that ads should tell you of possible danger whether is emotional distress or actually bodily harm and I don't think that's the case all the time in the United States, we don't always let you know and that can be very dangerous.
Retrieved from:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/trigger-warnings-college-new-york-times_b_5359276.html
I think that having empathy for those who have gone through something like that is important. I believe that having a trigger warning is courteous and just considerate and something that I don't think should be taken for granted. Something like this might not even have a "huge" impact, but if it makes a small difference why not implement it? If it makes people feel safer in their environment then I think it can benefit everyone and also implementing something that they can leave without punishment if they do happen to go back to that traumatic experience is also important.
I think in relation to commercial speech that the use of a trigger warning could also be used as well, after going through this over and over I think that the FCC which is the Federal Communication Commission is something that could possibly benefit people who use mass media. By being more lenient with what is being put on tv, but making use of a trigger warning for the production in mass media can benefit the population and production companies as well and even in advertising I believe that these can be helpful. If a movie were to have a preview somewhere that has some sort of over the top content and with no warning, wouldn't you want a trigger warning? I believe it would make a huge difference in how we see commercials and even if it's like how we hear the voices at the end of medicine commercials to boost a product. If even that were used I think a trigger warning would be very helpful in commercial speech just if more warnings were out in broadcasting and/or serious content without being abused hustvto out whatever in the public eye. I believe you should know the risks of doing something and that ads should tell you of possible danger whether is emotional distress or actually bodily harm and I don't think that's the case all the time in the United States, we don't always let you know and that can be very dangerous.
Retrieved from:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/trigger-warnings-college-new-york-times_b_5359276.html
Comments
Post a Comment