Our phones are an extension of our privacy as we keep some of our most important secrets and information on there. What were to happen if law enforcement could hack your iPhone? What if they could get into it bypassing your lock screen? Well in one case the FBI asked Apple to write a code that'll make iPhones susceptible to being opened by those means. Thankfully Apple refused, because "this would make the unhackable phone, hackable," (Bijan,Khosravi,2016). This would clearly be a violation of someone's privacy due to the fact that a breach of privacy is defined as intrusion on one's solitude or into one's private affairs, or the public disclosure of embarrassing private information. This could be literally anything on your phone and anything that could be used in order to put you in bad standing with anyone or group people.
I believe that this is one example of how the government tries to bypass privacy and by them requesting that Apple do that means that they don't care about your privacy and that means to you if you are suspected criminal. Yes it would be good if that person really was a criminal, but imagine if that person was innocent then their privacy would be invaded in vain with law enforcement not being able to be held accountable. Privacy is what makes someone feel secure with their personal stuff and helps them in some degree function on a day-to-day basis and that I think is very important. If they had done this it would leave the door open for hundreds of hackers to hack your iPhone, being someone who personally cannot let their phone out of their sit I don't think this would sit too well.
Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bijankhosravi/2016/02/28/apple-vs-the-feds-is-it-liberty-for-all-or-liberty-just-for-me/#51a9555f5332
From my understanding, your argument here is that the government should not be able to access information on our mobile devices without consent because it is a violation of our privacy under the First Amendment. I agree and disagree with this argument. In agreement, I would say that what I keep on my phone is personal and owned by me, so anyone who accesses it without my consent would be violating my privacy, just like if someone were to enter my home or bug my home with cameras or voice recorders. I think there is one exception to my opinion, which would be where I disagree with your argument. This exception would be the use of phone tapping, or "hacking" like you mention, by the government. I get that it may seem like a violation of privacy because they are accessing private information without consent, but in reality it is not. The only reason the government would tap someones phone would be out of suspicion of criminal acts that could put people or the country in serious danger.
ReplyDeleteYour example of the FBI's request to Apple about tapping was interesting to me because Apple denied the request. The FBI is purposed with investigating violations of federal law such as cyber crime, terrorism, and corruption. Don't you think there could be signs of these crimes on someone's phone, where they keep all of their important and personal information? Our growing technologies and platforms of communication are making it extremely difficult for the government to catch people performing criminal acts, and the FBI's request seemed to be a good strategy in my opinion.
One thing I would also like to mention is the CIA. There job is literally to spy on people, specifically people who pose potential threats to our country. One of their tactics that was leaked to the public about two years ago is phone hacking. They apparently have special programs that can hack suspect's phones, TVs, and PCs, according to the Wikileaks article "Here's how the CIA hacks your phones, TVs, and PCs."
Privacy is important, yes, but when there is a potential threat to our people or country, the government has to figure out how to stop it. To me, hacking a person's personal mobile device seems like it would be the most useful for finding guilt or innocence. I think that the government should be able to access our mobile devices if there is a serious suspicion of criminal intent.