During this week’s discussion on Chapter 7 (Provocation to
Anger and Words that Wound), we have talked extensively about hate speech
online and offline. One area we seem to keep coming back to (especially in the blogs)
is the presence of hate speech on college campuses. In the textbook, Tedford
and Herbeck mention speech codes on college campuses near the end of Chapter 7.
In this section, they provide a few examples of colleges who have implemented
speech codes to combat hate speech, such as the University of Michigan’s Policy
on Discrimination and Discriminatory Harassment of Students in the University
Environment. This policy was put into effect to punish “Any behavior, verbal or
physical, that stigmatizes or victimizes an individual on the basis of race,
ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, ancestry,
age, marital status, handicap or Vietnam-era veteran status…” (Tedford 206). As
good intentioned as this policy was though, it was deemed unconstitutional when
brought before a federal court because it violated the First Amendment.
After a
similar speech code from the University of Wisconsin was struck down and the
outcome of R.A.V. v. St. Paul, it was
predicted that most campus speech codes would be dismantled. Contrary to this
prognosis though, many college campuses still have speech codes in effect
(207). This result sparked my interest—why would universities and colleges
insist on maintaining their hate speech policies when they were likely to be
declared unconstitutional if brought to court? My first thought was that the
policy makers knew that they would only have to revoke the codes if they were
declared unconstitutional in court, and since the judicial system wasn’t taking
proactive measures against speech codes, they were in the clear so long as a
student or employee of the University didn’t initiate a civil suit against the
policy. However, after reading a Washington Post about the topic of free speech
on campuses, I began to realize that there might be more to it than that.
Perhaps the reason that policy makers maintain their speech codes is that we,
the students, want these rules in place.
According
the Washington Post article, “How free should free speech be on campus?” by
Michael S. Roth, “more than 70 percent of college students believe that
offensive speech should be subject to disciplinary action…”. When I first read
this line, I was a bit skeptical. I figured that there would be some students who
did support speech codes, but I never really considered the possibility that
the majority of college students would prefer to have policies that regulated
hate speech and, by extension, free speech. The more I think it over though,
the more I agree that this is a plausible result. From what I have gleamed
during these last few weeks, our class is fairly unilateral in terms of our
stance on hate speech. That is to say, many of us would probably agree that
hate speech is a serious issue. Furthermore, many of us likely believe that hate
speech should not be spoken, and that when it is it should be punished. I know
that I don’t speak for everyone, but this is at least my stance on the subject,
and from what I have heard in class, it would appear that there are others who share
this view. Taking all of this into consideration, I realize now why a survey
would suggest that a majority of college students would be in favor of policies
that discourage and punish hate speech.
Roth also brings up a valid point
when analyzing why students want a speech code in effect. He states that:
The appeal to the free exchange of
ideas, no matter what the cost to historically vulnerable groups, doesn’t
convince most of today’s college students because many of them recognize that
not all ideas make it to the marketplace and that, when all kinds of discourse
are tolerated, certain groups tend to get hurt again and again—creating
discriminatory hurdles for their members. Markets, including the ones for
ideas, often work very well, but when they are unregulated, real pollution,
real harm, occurs, all too often wounding people who historically have been
abused by those with power and privilege (Roth).
Earlier in the article, Roth alludes to this “marketplace of
ideas” and argues that it is the free exchange of speech that drives social and
scientific change. However, his statement above recognizes the shortcomings in
the practice of a “marketplace of ideas.” More specifically, he seems to have
reached a similar conclusion to the one our class did; the individuals who are
disseminating hate speech are becoming less persuadable by sound logic. Rather,
these individuals choose to stick their beliefs and only listen to those that
validate these beliefs. When these individuals are present and participating in
the “marketplace of ideas,” the environment of free speech is polluted, as Roth
says. Hence, in order to limit the pollution, regulations need to be established.
In this case, regulations take the form of campus speech codes.
In conclusion, free speech on
college campuses is a topic of great interest and concern. This is apparent
from the article cited above as well as our own discussions in class and in our
blogs. Before I end this post, I want to state that I did make some assumptions
about the stance of our class on hate speech. For this reason, I encourage anyone
who disagrees with my assumptions to say so in the comments below so that we
can set the record straight. On that note, what do you think about the claim
that 70 percent of college students support campus speech codes? Does this seem
like an accurate representation to you? Why or why not?
Sources:
Roth, Michael S. “How free should free speech be on campus?”
The Washington Post, 22 Sept. 2017, https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/how-free-should-free-speech-be-on-campus/2017/09/22/248ae04e-7e10-11e7-9d08-b79f191668ed_story.html?utm_term=.2e471b9353cd
Accessed 12 Oct. 2017.
Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the Unites States.
8th ed. Strata Publishing, INC., 2017.
I think you brought up an interesting discussion about hate speech in relation to university campuses. Despite many universities attempting to restrain hate speech through their own speech codes, many of these laws or ordinances, whether they are specific to a university of not, are deemed unconstitutional because they violate our First Amendment rights. I also found it interesting how a large majority of college students want disciplinary action against hate speech. However, it does make sense if one considers the amount of activism among college students. It makes sense to want to create laws bring about disciplinary action against hate speech. Especially, as you stated in your post, specific groups keep getting hurt or targeted by hate speech.
ReplyDeleteAnother solution to curb hate speech would be to not restrict it through laws, but allow society, on its own, to diminish it. This probably does not seem like a reasonable idea and most definitely relies on the belief that deep down individuals are good people. So, instead to outright banning or severely limiting hate speech, maybe we should add more speech to the conversation. This means that we should openly talk about hate speech and increase the rhetoric about why hate speech is not acceptable in society. Eventually, hate speech will no longer be tolerated without having to restrict anyone’s First Amendment rights. Although this seems like a long shot, it could still be a viable solution or at least a temporary one until hate speech is restricted through constitutional laws.
It is interesting to note that these hate speech codes, codes of conduct, policy changes, among all the other names they're called function differently across university campuses. As we've discussed in class specifically, disciplinary action is taken and even how hate speech is categorized varies widely. So I wonder which campuses the study looked at specifically because this can miscue their data, or not representative. In response to Roth's idea of marketplace of ideas, I would pushback and argue that it is about power, rather than the "freedom of civil discourse". In theory, it makes sense. But like you mentioned, in practice, it is different. When college campuses have controversial speakers on their campuses, how many of them actually participate in dialogues and conversations with those who have legitimate concerns? And when they do, how often is a civil? Because there is a power dynamic that is present when have discourse with marginalized and oppressed communities. In the society that one specific voice is heard, leveraged, and valued more than another, you simply cannot have an equal exchange of ideas. This is why I believe that hate speech should have disciplinary action, and I would be in that 70%.
ReplyDelete