It seems like one main concern is whether our traditional notions of "expression" are compromised by private interests. I think this assessment is fair, but my takeaway from this is that the intent does not matter. Even though a Marlboro advertisement---assuming it qualifies as non-deceptive---is advocating the use of cigarettes for example, which has negative implications for public health, you could probably argue the advertisement communicates some kind of message/idea the public can make good of. Sure, less value as a step to truth, but there can still be value I suppose. I want to reiterate one of the chapter's questions: is commercial speech necessary to the democratic process? Some advertisements definitely have merit to them, but at the same time, I have doubts as I consider all the bad advertisements I've seen in recent memory.
Something that commonly is seen as of low social value is sex advertising, and this ties into obscenity a little. While sex is more commonly accepted as natural and essential in private, in the public space such as an advertisement, it's generally a different animal---we generally consider sex scandalous, sinful, dirty, etc. Even mild Calvin Klein ads are hard to defend as valuable (and there are definitely more sexual ads out there that I don't know should be posted here), as they promote/normalize unhealthy lifestyles which can lead to reduced self-esteem, objectification of women, stereotyping, elitism, etc.. Is there really anything of legitimate social value embedded here? On the other hand, suggestive ads like the one below use sex as grounds to their argument and do have a strong message/positive persuasive purpose. With sex ads increasingly becoming pervasive and sexual, it'll be interesting to see how we navigate the threshold between "a little suggestiveness is okay" and "this is pornography" as advertisers grow more bold in their content.
Something that commonly is seen as of low social value is sex advertising, and this ties into obscenity a little. While sex is more commonly accepted as natural and essential in private, in the public space such as an advertisement, it's generally a different animal---we generally consider sex scandalous, sinful, dirty, etc. Even mild Calvin Klein ads are hard to defend as valuable (and there are definitely more sexual ads out there that I don't know should be posted here), as they promote/normalize unhealthy lifestyles which can lead to reduced self-esteem, objectification of women, stereotyping, elitism, etc.. Is there really anything of legitimate social value embedded here? On the other hand, suggestive ads like the one below use sex as grounds to their argument and do have a strong message/positive persuasive purpose. With sex ads increasingly becoming pervasive and sexual, it'll be interesting to see how we navigate the threshold between "a little suggestiveness is okay" and "this is pornography" as advertisers grow more bold in their content.
Comments
Post a Comment