Learning about Freedom of speech in academic and federal government spaces and how government institutional restraints are applied was very interesting. I found Teachers First Amendment Rights to be most interesting. The difference between academic and extramural expression has me thinking about how different my high school experience differed form my college experience. In high school teachers were less likely to excerise their academic expression right to switch up standard curriculum. Most of may teachers stuck to the academic standard at my school. It is interesting that public high schools have a right to switch up the publications/text in which they teach to their students. I would be a more appropriate way to measure a schools funding by the publications/text being used than a teachers academic expression. That raises a lot of questions for me.
I find it interesting that it is more common and expectable for college professors to exercise more of their freedom of speech by choosing the text and publications as they see fit. As well as being more vocal about their involvement outside of the institution.
Comments
Post a Comment