Skip to main content

Criticism and Fair Use on YouTube

Reading about copyright laws and the concept of fair use in chapter 13 gave me more insight into a topic I was already somewhat familiar with. I knew a little bit about fair use laws because of the time I spend on YouTube, but learning more about them helped contextualize this modern example a little more. For example, I knew copyrighted material could be used in certain contexts like education and criticism, but I wasn't aware of the various court precedents that refined this definition over time. I also didn't know about some of the more nuanced elements of these laws, such as how some copyrighted material "invites" more criticism than others.

Simply put, the concept of fair use is defined as using a copyrighted work "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news, reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research." (Tedford & Herbeck, 366) This law (the Copyright Act of 1976) essentially protects people from legal ramifications for appropriating copyrighted content so long as they can provide legal justification for doing so. For example, professional critics in the movie and music industry are protected under these laws if they choose to use copyrighted material in their reviews to clearly convey their point.

This chapter of our book closely ties into a specific case study that I followed for a few months before it was finally resolved earlier this year in August. The incident surrounded two parties: YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein (their channel being h3h3Productions) and Matt Hoss (his channel being MattHossZone). The controversy started when the Kleins uploaded a video that was critical of a different video put out by Hoss. Although the video appeared to clearly constitute a fair usage of the copyrighted material, Hoss decided to sue the Kleins on the grounds that they reproduced "virtually all of the work" as "nothing more than a prop" in their comedy routine. However, a New York district judge later decided to throw out this claim, writing "Any review of the Klein video leaves no doubt that it constitutes critical commentary of the Hoss video." I believe this case is important because it sets a crucial precedent for critical fair use in an era where YouTube is becoming a prominent source of news, entertainment, and critical commentary surrounding a diverse set of issues. No such precedent existed in a manner this specific before now, and it will be a valuable litmus test for what creators can attempt to sue over.

Sources:

Foxx, Chris. “YouTube Stars Win Fair Use Legal Battle.” BBC News, BBC, 24 Aug. 2017, www.bbc.com/news/technology-41043209.

Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the United States. 8th ed., Strata Publishing, Inc., 2017.

United States District Court, Southern District of New York. Hosseinzadeh v. Klein. 23 Aug. 2017. Court Listner.

Comments

  1. I thought your post was interesting. I also followed the case on h3h3 productions. I agree with the final outcome of the case. It was clear to me from the beginning that the Klein's were protected by fair use. To me it seemed like Hoss was upset that they made a video at his expense not really copy right infringement. I thought it was great that the Klein's took a stand for fair use laws on YouTube. It was beneficial to content creators on the platform. What I did find interesting about this case that you didn't touch on was the financial burden that the Klein's endured because of this. They set up a go fund me that raised a significant amount of money and mentioned they still had to pay a lot out of pocket to defend themselves. When I was researching fair use I read a lot of creators cannot afford to fight cases like this one. To me, it was exciting to see Ethan and Hila Klein proceed through the legal process with this case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my blog post for this week, I too discussed the idea of fair use in creating content for YouTube. My post revolved around the gaming section of YouTube though, while yours seem to focus on reaction videos. In both scenarios, the question that arises is whether commentary on copyrighted materials constitutes fair use. As you mention in your post, Hoss’s claim that the Kleins infringed upon his work was rejected by a New York district judge. Since this appears to be the first case involving copyright and fair use of YouTube creator content, I agree with your assessment that this ruling sets a significant precedent, especially when YouTube is developing as a prominent platform for entertainment, commentary, and expression. However, we should remember that this was a legal battle between two YouTube content creators. This ruling would probably not be handed down so easily if the case was between a YouTube creator and a large media corporation, such as Comcast, Time Warner, or Disney.

    In Chapter 13 of our textbook, one of the major court cases discussed was Viacom International v. YouTube. In this lawsuit, Viacom attempted to sue YouTube for copyright infringement because some of their material was repeatedly being reposted on YouTube’s site. The legal proceedings were dragged on for over 7 years until Google (which had purchased YouTube) reached an out of court settlement with Viacom. Nowadays, YouTube has systems in place, such as “Content ID,” to better identify and remove copyrighted material (Tedford and Herbeck 391-392). Since few other copyright cases against YouTube have arisen in the past few years (as far as I am aware of), one can infer that these systems such as “Content ID” are effective in preventing copyright infringement. However, there is a drawback—since Viacom International v. YouTube was settled out of court, no legal precedent was established concerning copyright infringement of material owned by a large media company on YouTube.

    In some cases, it is obvious when “brazen” copyright infringement occurs, but many other times the situation isn’t so clear. Some of these situations include reaction videos and gaming videos, as mentioned above, as well as movie reviews, comedy/skit videos, and possibly even how-to videos. Almost every video has the potential to infringe on someone else’s copyright. YouTube’s administration also seems to recognize this fact, for in their fair use policy, it is directly stated that, “There is actually no silver bullet that will guarantee you are protected by fair use when you use copyrighted material you don’t own.” (“Fair Use Guidelines”). The policy also describes the four factors of fair use as well some common myths regarding fair use. Since the use of copyrighted material can vary greatly from video to video, I agree with how YouTube has shaped its fair use policy. Instead of writing iron-clad rules stating exactly what is deemed as fair use and what isn’t, the company gives guidelines and tips that will help its creators avoid copyright infringement. Hopefully, this policy will minimize the number of cases involving copyright infringement on YouTube, such as Viacom International v. YouTube and Hosseinvadeh v. Klein, so that those who create YouTube videos can continue to do so.

    Sources:

    Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the Unites States. 8th ed. Strata Publishing, INC., 2017.

    “Fair Use Guidelines.” YouTube, 2017, https://www.youtube.com/yt/about/copyright/fair-use/#yt-copyright-protection Accessed 29 Nov. 2017.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gamifying Citizenship

The historical context of freedom of speech is an extremely interesting one. Why is it that the concept of free speech has been an undying one and has span the history of human communication. Breaking free speech in to three traditional rationals makes the concept easier to understand and definitely makes sense. These three modes of freedom of speech are philosophical, political and individual. They are easy to distinct from one another and function in completely different ways. From a philosophical level, free speech is a device of truth. That if people are able to speak freely and let their ideas compete, "in the long run the truth will prevail" according to Tedford and Herbeck. I find this interesting, because in my mind, this is the most important facet of free speech. I say this, because I find free speech essential for any kind of societal advancements. If people are not allowed to speak their mind and share their ideas, or discredit others ideas, how is a society supp...

Wedding Cake Court Case (make-up post)

Wedding cake court case involving a gay couple, Charlie Craig & David Mullins, and a cake baker, Jack Phillips, who refused to bake a wedding cake for the couple. Just all around, it's a tricky debate with many different angles due to the baker arguing on the grounds of the First Amendment---its protections for free speech and the free exercise of religion. In the end, I think it comes down to whether we consider baking a cake qualifies an exercise of freedom of expression. I would say that it depends on the situation/context of baking. If Mr. Phillips wants his cake baking to be categorized artistic expression that falls under free expression, he can just go bake a cake on his own. Only then when he's on his own private time does it qualify, but as soon as he offered his skills as a public service via his business, I'd argue he gave that right to expression up. Also, what's stopping other artisans/professional services to deny services? By Mr. Phillip's logic...

Why is Freedom of Speech Important in a Democracy

While reading Chapter 15, I got the sense that the book was really coming full circle. In the first week of class, we established a meaning for freedom of speech and that shared meaning allowed us to navigate the classroom together as a classroom and a collective group. Creating a space that also involved mutual respect of opinons but encouraging difference in them as well. This brings me to an article I found about the importance of Freedom of Speech in a democracy. It is a basic human right to be able to express opinions and beliefs in our country. Although that is the main component, just like we established in class the first few weeks, in a government and democracy, Freedom of Speech also consists of the ability to listen to people with difference in opinions. In the article , editor Rachael  Jolly says, “ We are going through a time where people don’t want to be on a panel with people they disagree with. But we should feel comfortable being in a room with people who disagree ...