The government speech doctrine in Bohanon’s discussion in “Tweeting
the Police” made me question possible abuse of power by the government. Bohanon
says it is “a fairly recent legal development that gives government wide leeway
to convey its own messages… includ[ing] accepting speech from some private
entities while excluding others with conflicting views” (351-352). Basically, the
doctrine is saying that when there is speech put out by the government, there Is
no violation of the Freedom of Speech under the First Amendment. Therefore, the
government can say whatever they want. At least that is my understanding. I think
this doctrine allows the government too much control over our speech and
freedom of expression rights, and it should be revised to require more
reasoning, evidence, and context for speech regulations and limitations.
It’s not that I think the confederate flag should be promoted, but I do think that this case is an example of how the government can abuse their power using the doctrine. By claiming license plates as government speech, they were saying that when someone sees a license plate, custom or not, they associate it with the government. But is that really true? I can say that I have never thought of a custom license plate in association with the government, but with the person driving the car. If you have a coded license plate that is coded to resemble something funny, inappropriate, or your views, I make judgements on the person and only the person. This may just be me, but I think this type of ruling by the government should not be considered protected under law. The doctrine should be revised to limit government control on rulings such as this one.
Sources:
Alysha L. Bohanon, Tweeting the Police: Balancing Free and Decency
on Government- Sponsored Media Pages,
101 L. Rev. 341, 382 (2016).
"576 U. S. ____ (2015). Walker,
Chairman, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board, et al. v. Texas Division,
Sons of Confederate Veterans, INC., ET AL." (n.d.): n. pag. Supreme Court of the United States. 23
Mar. 2015. Web.
Comments
Post a Comment