According to our textbook freedom of speech was established in our country because it helps the people have a voice. It also helps facilitate political discussion about our government and political process. I think that freedom of speech is fundamental to being American and having rights pertaining to expression is very important to our way of life. I think that without the freedom of speech we would be in a very different situation than what we know today. Freedom of press wouldn't be a right if we didn't have freedom of speech and that is something to where if something was wrong we wouldn't be able to find out about it because of that. The press in some ways is the voice of the people that will expose government corruption or will undermine something they think is wrong. In today's society I think that it is more worrisome that we have seen that there are limits on our freedom of expression.
Our freedom of expression shouldn't have a cap on it and it shouldn't be something that should be condemned in any way within reason. I think that if there is a cap on criticism of our government and protests then what is our government really saying? I think that a lot of institutions are able to find loop holes within the first amendement. "The Constitution's right to free speech applies only when the government - not a private entity - is trying to restrict it" (Nilsson,2017). This holds very true if you go to a private school then you have to wear what they tell you and if its a religious school then you must practice what they want you to. Simply by calling themselves private they don't get public funding but they do usually get a lot of money from alumni and above all else they can make their own rules.
Retrieved from: http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2017/03/21/culture/politics/6-exceptions-to-freedom-of-speech.html
Comments
Post a Comment