I thought this
last chapter of the book Freedom of
Speech in the United States was a good wrap-up to an understanding what the
Freedom of Speech is and means for America. Of the three rationales for free
speech, the political reason seemed to be the most dominant to me. Tedford and
Herbeck explain that free speech is necessary for a democratic self-government
to work by identifying three key points: “(1) facilitating free and open
deiscussion of political issues within government, (2) promoting citizens’ participation
in the political process, and (3) supporting the oversight function of a free press” (429). Basically, these points related to democracy allow
parliament to debate, average citizens to receive and give information and
opinions, and protection of those who expose abuse of power. Democracy seems to
be a core reason for the Freedom of Speech from Tedford and Herbeck’s perspective and
from that of Faust Rossi, Cornell professor of law. In an article on the
Cornell Chronicle Journal Rossi says, “Freedom of Speech is said to be the most
cherished of our constitutional rights. It is the essence of our democracy” (Gold). I also
agree that Freedom of Speech is essential for our democracy, but I do think
there can be negative effects of this we should consider.
What I mean by
this is that there are times when speech, at least in my opinion should not be
protected under the Freedom of Speech, but is under our law. The Supreme Court
case Snyder v. Phelps is an example of when I would have liked to see the court
rule a violation of free speech. Basically, “members of the Westboro Baptist Church
picketed with highly offensive signs outside a military funeral, and
the father of Mathew Snyder, a soldier killed in Iraq, filed a suit arguing
that the demonstrators intentionally inflicted emotional harm and intruded on a
private event” (Gold). The court sided
with the church in this case, which made sense because they were peacefully
protesting and did not bring violence, but their signs were so vulgar that I would
have ruled in favor of Snyder. Images from Google show that one of the picketed
signs read “Thank God for Dead
Soldiers”. What the meaning of this is or why they
would be protesting such a thing is beyond me, but this case makes me wonder when
offensive language becomes a violation of the law. This is the part of the
Freedom of Speech and democracy I think is hard to stomach.
Sources:
Gold, Lauren. “Freedom of
Expression is the ‘Essense of Our Democracy,’ According to Faust Rossi.” Cornell Chronicle, Cornell University,
16 Mar. 2011.
Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the United States.
8th ed. N.p.: STRATA, 2017. Print.
Comments
Post a Comment