Chapter 15 discusses Thomas I. Emerson’s
Expression-Action Theory. In this theory Emerson talks about the “chaotic state
of First Amendment theory” (433, Tedford). He talks about the idea that the Supreme
Court is not consistent in regards to the first amendment. Tedford and Herbeck
state “A condition that…has resulted from the Supreme Court’s failure to formulate
and apply any single theory to free-speech cases. The various tests uses by the
court…not only are vague, Emerson says, but vary so much from case to case that
they can hardly be described as a rule of law at all” (433). Emerson goes on to
explain how the expression-action theory can remedy this problem. What I found
interesting about this though was Emerson’s diagnosis of the problem.
I
personally have heard of many Supreme Court cases surrounding the first
amendment. I tried to look up exactly how many have been decided and couldn’t
find an exact number. I did find this page that highlights SOME landmark cases,
but there are many not included in the list. This got me thinking that maybe
Emerson is correct. There is so much variation from case to case and that it’s
hard to keep everything straight and consider it rule of law. The variation
makes it hard to determine exactly what freedom of speech is and the bounds of
the first amendment. That’s my opinion anyway, what do you all think about
this?
“First Amendment Cases Decided by the
U.S. Supreme Court.” California Anti-SLAPP Project, 28 Feb. 2016,
www.casp.net/california-anti-slapp-first-amendment-law-resources/federal-first-amendment-cases-decided-by-the-u-s-supreme-court/.
Tedford, Thomas L., and Dale A. Herbeck. Freedom of Speech in the United States. 8th ed., Strata Publishing, Inc., 2017.
Comments
Post a Comment