While reading about defamation in chapter 4, I was interested
to learn the difference between a “Private person” and a “public person’. I wasn’t
aware that there was a distinction between the two according to the supreme
court. According to the chapter in the case New York Times v. Sullivan the
supreme court ruled in favor of the New York Times stating “The Court’s
philosophy concerning verbal attacks- even in some instances, defamatory
falsehoods- directed towards certain public persons is a different matter” (78,
Tedford). I have been curious how tabloids were able to publish outlandish
headlines that proved untrue. I often see US weekly or the National Enquirer
post things of that nature so it was interesting to me that the reason they
were able to do this is because they are posting about a public person. I’ve
also noticed sources do this to candidates during elections with no
consequences. The court said “in the interest of “robust” and “wide open”
debate on public matters, people in government should accept the fact that “vehement
and caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks are to be expected” (78,
Tedford). Now that I know that the supreme court ruled on the difference
between private and public figures I understand why news sources are allowed to
post things that might be considered defamation to a private person such as
myself.
After I learned the difference between public and private people
I was curious if there were cases that public figures successfully sued for
defamation. I assumed there would be but I was curious what they would be since
its harder for them to bring forth these cases. I came across this
article titled 6 most successful celebrity Libel and Slander cases. It was
interesting to see what celebrities were awarded money and what their cases
were. Overall, I thought the supreme court ruling made sense because public
figures subject themselves to less privacy based on their profession. What do
you guys think about the supreme court’s ruling in New York Times v. Sullivan?
Citation
Ciccatelli, Amanda. “6 most successful celebrity libel and
slander cases.” InsideCounsel, 18 Nov.
slander-case?slreturn=1506384755&page=6.
Accessed 25 Sept. 2017.
Comments
Post a Comment