Forbes posted this article in response to a Washington Post opinion piece (funded by the Koch brothers) who were lamenting the decline of the Freedom of speech on college campuses.
"When characters like Ann Coulter, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Charles Murray appear on campus, their appearances are funded by extremist donors and their events are orchestrated by outside groups. Finding students among the organizers, attendees, protestors, or counter-protestors is a challenge. This is theater and the university is a prop."
Any thoughts?
(1/2)
ReplyDeleteI'm very surprised to read about how this survey suffered from severe methodological errors. When I initially read the op-ed on the Washington Post's website a few days ago, I took the poll fairly seriously considering the results were published under the Brookings Institution - one of the most well-established and respected think tanks in the country. (A 2005 report published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics found that it was the most frequently cited think tank by US media and politicians.) I think the Guardian article (cited by the Forbes opinion piece) does a very good job in detailing where exactly where the poll goes wrong, such as the absence of a probability sample and the lack of any peer review. These critical errors are enough to question the validity of the results entirely.
However, I think the Forbes article, for lack of a better phrase, goes completely overboard in trying to discredit the poll and those who are pushing it. In the words of Chris Ladd, the writer:
"In a rich marketplace of ideas, conservatives are failing, and they are not losing with dignity. Our phony free speech crisis is a pet theory of people triggered to sputtering outrage by a black man who fails to stand for the national anthem. Whining like pampered little snowflakes, they scramble to establish some form of “safe space,” some preserve insulated from the intellectual competition that threatens to scour from them our future political landscape."
Most of this piece (at least to me) read as outlandishly hyperbolic and immature. This language being used is obviously meant to make fun of those on the right who use the terms "safe space" and "snowflake" in a derogatory sense, but I believe the use of such phrases is petty and low-bar no matter who they're coming from. Fostering the marketplace of ideas that Ladd refers to multiple times throughout the article starts with eliminating these useless character attacks and instead focusing on substantive conversation.
Through the title of Ladd's article and a paragraph later on, he also appears to completely dismiss the idea of any intolerance of speech on college campuses outright. He writes:
"Empirical data suggests that free speech is alive and well on campus, but what about the evidence of our eyes? Over the past year or so we’ve been treated to an escalating cycle of apparent violence aimed at conservatives. This is not an accident. It is engineered by the same class of wealthy donors who produced that poll."
I was unable to find a link in this article for the "empirical data" Ladd referred to. After a Google search, I found a Gallup poll that I can only assume is what he's citing. The poll reveals that 72% of college students believe universities shouldn't censor political views that could be offensive to certain groups (27% support such measures). I believe this is a noteworthy number, though obviously not as alarmist as the Brookings poll mentioned earlier. I believe it's important to gather more reliable, peer-reviewed data on this topic.
However, Ladd's assertions later on that this violence seen towards conservative speakers is somehow engineered by "wealthy donors," in my opinion, borders on the conspiratorial. He cites no evidence to support this claim. If his implication is that groups like those who caused property damage at UC Berkeley in lieu of Milo's speaking event (which were proven to be outside individuals, not students) are somehow funded by the Koch Brothers or similar groups, this is an astonishingly baseless claim.
(2/2)
DeleteIf I'm interpreting Ladd's thesis or various claims incorrectly in this article, then I would love for someone to respond to this and let me know. The whole piece strikes me as an overcompensation in analyzing the subject of free speech on campuses and the questionable, often bigoted figures that some student groups choose to invite. I think it's possible to have a conversation about this topic, but that involves grounding the subject in hard evidence without resorting to hyperbolic claims and inviting figures who are going to foster a civilized discussion.
Sources:
Beckett, Lois. “'Junk Science': Experts Cast Doubt on Widely Cited College Free Speech Survey.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 22 Sept. 2017, www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/22/college-free-speech-violence-survey-junk-science.
Gallup, Inc. “College Students Oppose Restrictions on Political Speech.” Gallup.com, 5 Apr. 2016, news.gallup.com/poll/190451/college-students-oppose-restrictions-political-speech.aspx.
Grossclose, Tim, and Jeffery Milyo. “A Measure of Media Bias.” The Quarterly Journal of Economics, CXX, no. 4, Nov. 2005.